Mold can be a harmful material to your health if ingested or breathed in and it is important that if it is present on your property that you have it taken care of immediately. Here are some steps to help you determine if mold is present on your property.
Firstly the most obvious sign of mold is a constant musty odor. When mold is growing in your home or business it will leave a musty and disgusting odor. Don’t ignore these odors even if you can’t spot the mold by means of the naked eye. You should thoroughly inspect your home before these problems continue and lead to even larger scale issues.
It seems obvious that visible mold growth means that you have a mold issue on your property. However many people don’t notice small amounts of mold growth or they presume that it’s just soot or dirty. Sometimes people even ignore the visible mold in their homes because they don’t want to deal with it. If you can see any kind of mold growth even if it is small you should begin to take action immediately. Even small mold patches can spread and the fact that there is any mold present at all shows that the conditions in your home are favorable for mold to grow. If you don’t address the problem quickly it will only become a larger issue. Visible mold growth could also be an outward sign that there is a much larger mold colony growing that is hidden from view.
Sometimes you may not realize there is mold in your home especially if it is unusual in appearance. Some mold growth looks white and thread-like while other strains of mold can appear as clusters of small black spots. Mold can be anything from black gray brown green or white in color. If there is mold growing behind wallpaper made of vinyl it can even appear as orange pink or purple.
If you have had a moisture problem in your home for the long term that you haven’t addressed it is more than likely than you have mold. Some signs of a moisture issue can include water stains discoloration on walls floors or ceilings in your home. If you find one of these clues then there is a chance that there may be mold growing behind the material. Another sign of a moisture issue is peeling bubbling or cracking of the paint or wallpaper. If your walls are bowed bulging or warped then it means that moisture has made its way into them.
Mold can have toxic effects on you if it is not taken care of in a timely manner. This could mean anything from headaches shortened attention span or trouble concentrating. If you are experiencing these neurological symptoms and it is not in the norm it could possibly be a sign that toxic mold is growing somewhere in your home. Mycotoxins from toxic molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum can have a mental affect on people much more severe than the allergic symptoms that are caused by different non-toxic strains.
If you have experienced mold on your property a mold remediation professional is needed to remove it safely and efficiently.